Today marks the historic anniversary of the death of Saint Patrick, a fifth century patron saint and national apostle of Ireland. Credited with bringing Christianity to the Irish people, his life has been celebrated and ingrained in the Irish culture for centuries. For several years, fanciful parties and gatherings took place in honor of this “Irish Aid” and St. Patrick’s Day was dubbed an annual holiday.
Recognition of St. Patrick’s Day spread throughout America and annual parades were held as a demonstration of strength and pride. Today, more than 1 million people partake in Ireland’s St. Patrick’s Festival (History), not to mention the millions of people around the globe who celebrate. The holiday has turned into multi-day celebrations, parades, theater productions, and more.
It has been reported that 127 million Americans plan to celebrate the holiday (US News). Celebrations include wearing all shades of green, shamrock shaped glasses, and silly costumes, all while drinking the staple Irish beer – Guinness. Some people will even make special Irish cocktails or drink green beer.
A sobering side-effect of all the celebrations and green beer consumption is the increase in DUI’s that will occur. On average, there is a 46 minute interval between alcohol-related car crashes that claim a life on St. Patrick’s Day. Over 75% of those crashes involve a driver more than 2 times the legal drinking limit (US News). The cost of an Uber or Lyft is much less expensive than DUI fees, and by far less costly than taking a life from negligent driving.
In the midst of all the St. Patty’s Day fun, we urge you to stay safe and carefully consider the choices you make. Here are a few statistics* about the holiday that you might find interesting. Some are simply fun facts, while others are sobering reminders to stay safe while having fun.
- 82.5% of holiday celebrators plan to wear a shade of green.
- St. Patrick’s Day parties will total more than $5.3 billion dollars this year.
- The holiday ranks 4th among the calendar’s most popular drinking days.
- 56.1% of Americans plan to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in 2017.
- 13 million pints of Guinness will be consumed worldwide.
- The cost of an Uber ride from Boston to Ohio is $3,762 (vs. up to $24,000 for a DUI charge)
- More than 31.4% of Americans plan to cook a special St. Patrick’s Day meal.
- The President of Ireland will deliver a crystal bowl of shamrocks to the U.S. President.
- The Chicago River is dyed green for 5 hours using 45 lbs of vegetable-based dye.
- The average amount each St. Patrick’s Day partier will spend is $38.00.
Remember, the luck of the Irish won't save you if you drink and drive. Consider these statistics before getting in the car this weekend. If you are involved in a vehicle accident or personal injury situation, don't hesitate to call our law firm. We have accident and injury lawyers standing by to assist you. Stay safe, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!
*Statistics have been adapted from WalletHub