Each year, June is designated as National Safety Month by the National Safety Council. The goal of National Safety Month is to raise awareness of common causes of injury that can be reduced or even prevented with the proper precautions. This year the theme is titled “What I Live For”, and one of the focuses is on slip and fall prevention.
At Boughter Sinak, LLC, we decided to do our part in raising awareness by sharing 10 helpful tips on how to prevent slips and falls. We felt that this cause of injury was particularly relevant to us, because taking steps to prevent slips and falls at your home or place of business can also help you to avoid a premises liability or workers’ compensation case.
- Be on the lookout for trip hazards (bunched carpet, cement cracks, easily overlooked stairs, etc) and deal with them immediately.
- Keep floors free from clutter, cords, and other tripping hazards.
- Make sure rugs are secured to the floor with double-sided tape or avoid rugs altogether.
- Clean up spills immediately, and take extra precautions when it is raining or muddy outside to keep your floors clean and dry.
- Make sure that there is adequate lighting so that people can see where they are walking.
- Provide hand rails and non-slip flooring whenever possible as an extra precaution.
- Draw attention to changes in flooring or elevation with signs and bright colored markings.
- Deal with potholes and ice in parking lots as soon as possible.
- Train pets to stay out from under visitors’ feet where they could become a potential trip hazard.
- If you own a business, make sure that you have adequate small business insurance to protect you in case of a slip and fall incident.
According to recent statistics, falls are the leading cause of nonfatal injuries in middle aged adults, and they can obviously be even more hazardous to the elderly. While following the steps outlined above will greatly minimize your risk of slip and fall liability, you can never be 100% protected. Should someone fall at your business or if you have experienced a fall due to someone else’s negligence, call the attorneys at Boughter Sinak, LLC. We will aggressively fight to get you the compensation that you deserve!
For more resources on fall prevention, visit the following websites: