Count on our car accident attorneys. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation at our Fort Wayne, Indiana office today. We can explain all the legal options available to you, then help you decide which approach makes the most sense for you.
Steps you should take after your Fort Wayne car accident
The steps you take after your car accident can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. That’s why it’s important to know what to do after your car crash. Here are some suggestions based on our years of work, fighting for the rights of people hurt in car accidents caused by another driver:
- Seek medical attention – If you’re at the scene of the accident, call 911 and ask them to send an ambulance. If your crash happened several days ago, go to your doctor or the emergency room. Even if you feel fine, it’s important to have a doctor examine you. You could still have a life-threatening medical condition.
- Call the police – If you have not already done so, ask the Fort Wayne Police Department (or police from wherever your accident took place) to respond to your crash. Having an official car accident report can often make a big difference in the outcome of your case.
- Get personal information – Ask the driver who caused your crash for his or her full name, address, phone number and insurance information. Make sure to give the same information to the other driver, as well.
- Don’t admit anything – Even if you know you didn’t do anything to cause your collision, what you say after your accident could affect your ability to be fairly compensated. Even saying something as simple as “I’m sorry” could be used by insurance companies to deny your accident claim.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your accident, ask them what they saw. Their testimony could be a critical piece of evidence to support your accident claim. Make sure you get their full name, phone number and address so you or investigators can contact them in the future.
- Take photographs – If possible, take photographs of your accident scene. Use your cellphone, or someone else’s, to take pictures of the damage to your car, accident debris on the road, traffic signs and anything else that could have contributed to your crash. This evidence matters to insurance companies.
- Call your insurance company – You will need to call your insurance company soon after your car accident. Tell them you have been in an accident. Otherwise, keep your comments brief. What you say could impact your ability to be fairly compensated for your crash.
- Don’t talk to other insurance companies – If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you after your crash, you have the right to decline to speak with them. Their questions might seem innocent but what they’re really doing is fishing for information they can use to deny your accident claim.
- Carefully review any settlement offers – The other driver’s insurance company may contact you to offer you money to settle your accident claim. It can be tempting to accept such an offer. However, these offers often don’t come close to covering all your accident-related expenses. Once you agree to accept an offer, you often forfeit the right to ask for more money in the future. As a result, you could end up losing out on thousands or perhaps even millions of dollars.
- Talk to a lawyer – The bottom line is that accidents can be confusing. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced, Fort Wayne car accident lawyer on your side who can help guide you through this process, every step of the way.
You have rights. We can fight for them. Contact Boughter Sinak, LLC right now. We can help.